Disclaimer!

Disclaimer - We are a very dedicated and passionate group of people coming together in a workshop experience to improve our teaching and the lives of our students. The opinions we express here are our own, and not necessarily those of the institutions supporting us! Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Are We Warming UP?

Are we warming up? Seriously? As a child, I saw virtue in theory more often than in reality. It was often a schizophrenic paradox. it all started in kindergarten; We were often told that lying is a sin yet the "MISS" used to horrify us with a so called " rats room" not to give her a hard time in the classroom. Since we are discussing Knowledge acquisition, I would like here refer to accommodation and assimilation theories. I found it not hard at all to accommodate "the rats room" in my list of "appropriate disciplinary system" ,assimilation was far more easier. The thing that really gave me the chills to my tiny kidneys is the incident when she came into the class with "Ahmad" who had blood covering his left ear. "Do you see?" she said it two times in a strict accent. "That's what would happen to you if you misbehave. I put him in the rats room for being naughty" she explained. My tongue got a complete twist back into my throat, our wide innocent eyes got even wider and silence prevailed. The next day Ahmad came with a bandaged ear. I asked him about the rats room! He answered that he fell while running. "What a liar" I mumbled. I never wanted to come near him in kindergarten. Days flipped but the memory of that room froze. I realized very late that the rats room is actually a room for junk furniture, which took me a couple of days to accommodate!! I then I developed sever case of Musophobia which I still suffer fromL
Luckily, in elementary school the idea of "the rats room" was all naïve. I'm not that green and I won't fall into that ever again unfortunately adults are smart after all. They made us assimilate and accommodate something real this time; something you shouldn't even doubt and wasn't as complicated as the rats room yet had a similar effect. it was merely a "stick". and the rest I would leave to your imagination or maybe to your "MEMORY".
The stick experience continued to be an effective deterrent tool, often spiced with some manipulative creative thoughts of extortion that would fit fairly well our level of thinking. Who said teacher's don't understand the needs of their students? Believe me most of them do; but the implementation of such knowledge to the ground is different.
The scary part isn't even that. It's the idea that students underwent this process of learning (like me), and who would become later "teachers", would probably lug this bad omen inheritance to their students, it's something a teacher would experience subconsciously (or consciously) in a system of education that might be infected with hypocrisy to a certain extent.
 Teachers of this age are distinguished from the teachers I knew as a student. I would even dare to say that they are even blessed! We all have access now to teaching and learning resources, which are often served at work (workshops, courses  ...etc.) and if one has the drive, there are thousands of internet pages to surf. But the wisdom I learned and that I'd love to share is " it doesn't matter how many resources you have if you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough". Guess what? Thanks to God and to this academy, I have built a ladderJ I bet you all haveJ
Sultan looking over the "wall"

5 comments:

  1. Well done, Sultan!! I have also lived both experiences (the rat room and the stick)!! it is funny how we used to believe! :)

    I have also built a ladder but still Im on the first step!!

    Thanks dear Sultan..I am always proud of you..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Sultan.
    I enjoyed reading this :)
    Isn't it strange that we find " frightening experiences" funny???
    How can something that caused pain to others cause us to laugh??
    Is laughing always about happiness??
    I wonder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teachers who used to believe in the physical punishment and insult has merely passed away...

    ReplyDelete