Disclaimer!

Disclaimer - We are a very dedicated and passionate group of people coming together in a workshop experience to improve our teaching and the lives of our students. The opinions we express here are our own, and not necessarily those of the institutions supporting us! Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Midway

We are about halfway through our pre-academy activities and you all have done a great job so far, I couldn't have asked for a better group!  The nature of this academy will evolve, and the more you work, the more you think, the more we will get done. I think of this period like the first two-thirds of my time when I write or when I am preparing to do a conference presentation - I spend a great deal of energy being divergent (looking in different directions, gathering from all over, still moving outwards in my thoughts) before I finally begin to converge (decide on plan, move inwards and bring everything together, decide what to use and what to discard).  So for now, we will be looking at a lot of theories and ideas, and you should also be exploring on your own as well. By the time we come together in January, we will have gathered enough information and resources to start moving inwards towards our teaching "cores."  Enjoy this time, think and challenge yourselves - you have volunteered for a program that a lot of people couldn't or wouldn't do, take advantage of everything you can.
I want to remind you about interacting on the blog.  Please read and comment - if you would like me to check your comments for editing, you can email them and I will post them either as anonymous or with your name (be sure to tell me). I cannot begin to tell you all how much I respect you for what you have accomplished in English, I can barely express myself in my first language!  I want this to be a community of teachers, thinkers, people that care.  Let's keep the momentum we have started.
I will be posting more and more articles, you just need to read them, there will not be a test afterwards (a good lesson for us - how nice is it to have the luxury to read just to improve ourselves without the threat of an examination looming?).  Maybe we should think about this with our students sometimes as well :)  Keep doing a good job on the homework, and the follow up questions. Next week I will send you a schedule for the academy week in January, and I am very excited.  I was thinking it might be nice to have dinner together the night before the academy, January 14th, let me know what you think.
Shall I give you a hint about one of the projects we will work on? Or would you rather me wait and spring it on you in January? Let me know :)
Once again, I am very proud of you all, and of course, the reward for hard work is more hard work!

16 comments:

  1. Dear Michael,
    I hope that we keep the momentum we have just started with your guidance and mentoring of course.

    Hopefully one day our students will be able to read, write and do other things just to get improved not for rhe sake of the exam...


    Well, maybe it is better if you give us hints about the projects we will work on in january so we get ourselves ready especially if they need more readings.

    The idea of the dinner or lunch is great!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Zeinab. When I hear from a few more of you peers,I will drop a hint about the project - my sneaky way to motivate you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening professor,
    I am really happy and more than happy to have such great experience with a great and brilliant professor like you . Whenever you sent an article , I start reading it, and read it again and again , you have a marvelous and a very beautiful way in clarifying things , and Iam waiting your coming on a fire" as we say it in Arabic".Inshaa allah.
    With my deepest gratitude for every things ,
    Mervat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that lovely compliment Mervat! Let's see what fires we can start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, I can relate to the idea of spending two thirds of the time thinking in all directions and then focusing on the assignment. A computer makes that easier because you don’t need to plan “typing” time at the end and you can pull together “parts” of the assignment.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, I remember having to rent a typewriter for $15 a day thirty years ago to type any paper I had to do, no correction ribbon, having to account for footnotes, etc. You are so right, these kids today have no idea..........:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Micheal,

    Thank you for everything you do for us, your comments and feedback on our answers, articles you share and above all, your being on line most of the time.

    I totally agree with you about the luxury of Reading for improvement.

    I think that giving some hints about the projects to be done in January would be good.
    About a dinner together, I think it would be nice to share a meal together before sharing projects...

    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are welcome! When I hear from a few more of your peers, I will drop a hint or two :) So, if you have any influence, employ it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, trust me I am working hard on "keeping the momentum we have started" wherever I have an influence, luckily I do have some influence here and there! I can see this thing we have started as a dream months ago turning into reality, and I am watching it the way I watch my kids growing up, trying to enjoy every moment of it:)
    As for the projects we are supposed to work on, I would rather have a hit from now. I am a heavy duty worker, but still I cannot bear with you, I guess no one can;)
    The idea of the dinner is great, count me in:)
    thanks for all the encouragement and support, make sure next time to give yourself enough credit; how can someone who plays the language the way you do say " I can barely express myself in my first language" !!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again, we will keep up the good work, you don't have to push harder:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, is that the early sounds of surrender? Seriously, thank you for all your support. As far as my writing, thank goodness for my thesaurus! When I hear from a few more people, a hint shall be forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hints idea is great!! the dinner's even GREATER, i'd loooove to

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel very happy and proud when i discover that my good impression about someone is right .from the first time you signed as Michael I figured how modest you are, that's a value of a scientist.I think I will learn much of this participation.
    The idea of the dinner is wonderful I cant wait till then.Lets call it the first dinner....
    please send the projects hints in order my interaction be more effective .so long for now...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Surrender!!!!!!!!!!!
    You know this word is not in my dictionary :)
    As for the thanks part, you are welcome, just doing my job:)
    If you feel like pushing harder, be my guest, I just didn't think you need that as everyone is being very self motivated;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. no backward no surrender the new name of our academy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, you’ve been working so hard. I really appreciate it. Thanks God that we have this privilege of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think all of the teachers in this academy can keep the momentum they have started .They are the best .Don't worry ! Just keep sending us those marvellous articles and judge .

    ReplyDelete