Disclaimer!

Disclaimer - We are a very dedicated and passionate group of people coming together in a workshop experience to improve our teaching and the lives of our students. The opinions we express here are our own, and not necessarily those of the institutions supporting us! Thank you for understanding.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

How I Feel


When I first received my invitation to this project, I thought it another attempt to elevate both teaching and learning processes, but how; that, I didn't know! Now that I'm a part of it, it become more obvious to me! When I think of myself as a teacher, I often do that alone which has changed.
To give you the truth, I never wanted to be a teacher. It didn’t even cross my mind during school to attend a university. After all, I was a wicked boy who enjoyed ruining things all the time, I often found it hard not to destroy things, even the things I like. I can remember many weird things including "our oven". I was only 12; my dad bought a brand new oven after being fed up from mum nagging! Mum loved it! Its big and neat, but that didn’t draw my attention, what I thought about every time I got into the kitchen is the "glass" of the oven. Why doesn't it break because of heat? " I often wondered". Who cares! As long mum loved it. A month later I came home with my "super turbo slingshot", I made it of a strong branch of a willow tree that belonged to our neighbor "he didn’t know that". I only wanted to drink some water and go back to hunt down some birds "or anything that moves"; when I suddenly saw it again" it was the weird wicked mysterious glass! It was their, almost daring me. I told myself " I've got my ammunition right in my buckets" lets try light ammunition( small gravel) I hit it almost four times, but nothing happened. I got really angry which made me go for the heavy ammunition in my other bucket! "Bang" it came into little pieces. I didn’t know what to do except to run as fast as I can. Eventually, I got home to find my dad waiting for me with along stick in his hand. I don’t like to remember the rest.
I kept being that wicked boy who loved to carry first thoughts until the 10th grade when the ministry of education had appointed a new teacher, and what a teacher! He changed the way I think and I behave because of his special guidance. I loved his class and drove myself to it's limits. He wasn't just a teacher, he was a mentor, a father and amongst all he was a friend. I started to study more and more, not because I wanted to go to university but because it was fun to do so. I got great marks, which made my father, say "subhan Allah". Now that I'm a teacher I give gratitude to Allah  the Almighty and then to this astonishing teacher.
I believe strongly in the message I carry as a teacher, I believe in my students and I believe in my colleagues who exerted effort in helping me become a better teacher. I'd like in this regard to thank all my supervisors Mrs. Zainab Alajarma, Mr. Bassam Saleh, And Mrs. Ghada Sari and all teachers participating in this effort as well. I'd like also thank Mr. Michael Morsches for his genuine endurance in elevating the teaching and learning process.
It's a unique opportunity  to share our hopes, worries, and aspirations as teachers.
Hope you all the best deep from my heart
Sultan awwad 

9 comments:

  1. We have a wonderful, forgiving profession! It waits for us until we are ready, then allows us to repay it. You are a great example of this. I am sure your students are grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the idea of learning and teaching processes as they are viewed as systems. True! The teacher is an inspirer, a spark lighter, a motivator, and a parent! I liked the story of your oven! What you did is learning by doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) thanks a lot, this is what i love about it "sharing" our infatuation of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sultan .Good topic ,indeed .Yes you are right .A good teacher can turn our lives upside down .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well when I first met you at Markka School
    I saw the strong, determined young man in you, but never the wicked little boy :). Your story is very inspiring, you have said almost everything I have been trying to share with teachers over the last few years. When we teach someone, we leave an obvious mark on who they will be. I am very happy to have the chance to work with you again, hope we all can get the best out of this experience. I am sure your students are very proud of you, so are your supervisors, I know I am.
    Great story, Sultan, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really proud to work with you Mrs. Ghada:) ppl like you make our message more clear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People like you are making all the difference, Sultan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey dear Sultan,

    I must be the luckiest then!!! I am so proud of you!! Your story is a great example of how teachers can always make a difference by inspiring kids to discover their potentials. As long as you still remember how your teacher changed your life, you will always try to do the same to your students. Keep the faith and tell your story to your students so they learn that nothing is impossible to achieve even turning from a naughty boy to a good one :)

    Thanks Sultan,

    ReplyDelete